Revalorisation of vegetable processing industry remnants into high-value functional proteins and other food ingredients
RuBisCO is a protein found in all green vegetables and plants. It represents around 50 percent of the total protein content of green leaves.
GreenProtein is an industrial demonstration project that aims to produce high-added value, food grade proteins and other ingredients from vegetable food waste streams. The primary objective will be to extract and purify food-grade, fully functioning, RuBisCO protein on an industrial scale using discards from the vegetable processing industry.
The GreenProtein project aims to process 1000 kg/h of green residue raw material into 128 kg of RuBisCO protein gel per hour. The protein gel has many valuable food industry applications such as gelling, foaming and emulsifying, with excellent market projection in growing markets such as high protein, vegan and halal foodstuff.
The GreenProtein project aims at producing high-added value, food-grade and fully functional proteins and other food ingredients, out of vegetable residues from the packed salad processing.
- Construct a DEMO plant and fine-tune the biorefinery process in order to boost the industrial profits of vegetable agri-food industries, while contributing to decrease food waste in Europe and increase protein availability.
- Demonstration of a complete new value chain leading to higher added value products for new markets
- Improvement of environmental performance and cost efficiency of resulting products as compared to state of the art benchmarks
- Demonstration of an integrated process with more than 40% of the raw material to be valorised into high added value additives.
- Demonstration of products with a 2-5 times higher value than the current applications of the raw material, leading to a significantly higher total valorisation of the agricultural crops so contributing to rural development and employment in rural areas