Advanced Eco-designed Fibres and Films for large consumer products from biobased polyamides and polyesters in a circular EConomy perspecTIVE
Polyamides (Nylon) and polyesters are two of the most widespread families of polymers, with applications spanning from garments, carpets and sportswear to automotive parts, packaging materials, fishing products, electric and electronic components. In recent years, the developers of such large-volume products have started to increase their interest in the production of green products at affordable prices, which implies not only the use of biobased materials but also the application of strategies that ensure a sustainable end-of-life of the products.
In this view, the EFFECTIVE project aims to demonstrate first of its kind and economically viable routes for the production of bio based polyamides and polyesters from sustainable renewable feedstock towards the obtaining of fibres and films with enhanced properties, market competitiveness and increased sustainability.
These materials will be applied into eco-designed large consumer products targeting different markets, such as construction, automotive, primary and secondary packaging and textile. Moreover, their replication into many other markets such as fishing, engineering plastics, agriculture, hygiene and personal care will be also investigated.
The overarching objective of the EFFECTIVE project is to demonstrate, at TRL 7, innovative and economically viable routes for the production of bio based polyamides and polyesters from renewable feedstocks to obtain fibres and films with enhanced properties, market competitiveness and increased sustainability.
Key scientific and technological, scale-up and products objectives include:
- Validate the production of sustainable feedstock for the subsequent conversion processes;
- Demonstrate innovative and sustainable processes for the production of bio based building blocks for the synthesis of bio based polyamides and polyesters;
- Demonstrated the production of recyclable biobased nylons
- Demonstrated the production of biobased and biodegradable polyesters
- Validate the demonstrated biobased nylons into fibres for garment and carpet products, and into films for primary packaging applications
- Validate the demonstrated biobased polyesters into films for secondary food applications
Specific environmental objectives include:
- Eco-design of a new enhanced structure of products in order to enable the recycling of the different polymers at the end of the product’s life;
- Demonstrate the recyclability of bio based nylons;
- Valorize the biodegradable plastic products at the end-of-their-life through the production of compost and energy;
- Improve the environmental profile of the targeted biopolymers;
- Define a strategy and measures to be undertaken towards the standardization and certification of the developed bio-based processes and products;
- Assess the environmental and economic impacts of the whole process.
The EFFECTIVE project aims to have the following impacts:
- Create one new bio based value chain by establishing a new interconnection among sectors which usually do not cooperate;
- Establish at least two new bio based value chains from sustainable feedstock to polyamides for garment, carpet and primary packaging products, and to polyesters for secondary packaging products;
- Create at least three new bio-based materials with high potential marketability;
- Create at least four new demonstrated consumer products based on bio based polymers
Deliver bio based materials that have better performance and improved sustainability compared to the benchmarks.