BIC is the private partner in the €3.7 billion public-private partnership with the EU - the Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU). Our membership includes more than 240 industry members covering the whole value chain, from primary production to market actors, across multiple and diverse sectors:
- Agriculture, food & feed production
- Aquaculture and marine
- Chemicals and materials
- Forestry and pulp & paper
- Market actors
- Technology providers
- Waste management and beyond…
and more than 200 associate members from universities, research and technology organisations to European associations, regions and beyond.
Who are BIC's members?
Interested in joining BIC?
What do we do?
BIC’s vision is to accelerate the innovation and market uptake of bio-based products and services and to position Europe as the global hub for a sustainable circular bioeconomy which:
- sources and valorises domestic renewable raw materials and bio-waste
- produces food, feed, bio-based products, services and energy with minimal environmental impact
- creates multiskilled and secure jobs in rural, coastal and urban areas
- fosters sustainability through efficient use of feedstock with zero-waste objectives
BIC industry members draft the topics for the BBI JU Annual Work Programme. They are guided by the Strategic Innovation and Research Agenda (SIRA), which translates industry’s objectives into a set of actions designed to deliver results first by 2020 and then by 2030. The next SIRA, SIRA 2030, is currently being drafted and will reflect recent policy updates, including the updated Bioeconomy Strategy, the Single-use Plastics Directive, etc., and aims at contributing to key SDGs with a particular focus on tackling climate change and enhancing biodiversity.
What is our vision?
BIC together with fourteen organisations from across the bioeconomy sector have come together to outline their joint Vision for 2050 - a European circular bio-society.
This Vision focuses on four key drivers:
- Foster food security for a growing world population and meet its demand for sustainable products
- Contribute to a sustainable planet
- Create jobs and growth in the circular bioeconomy
- Achieve a circular bioeconomic society
Vision for a circular bio-society
NEW bioeconomy platform to connect industry & European regions
BIC’s bioeconomy platform is a digital, partnering platform where regions and the bio-based industry can make contact based on mutual interest. The platform focuses on creating local value chains and access to finance, namely helping regions and industry bridge the gap between bio-based investment opportunities and financial incentives at regional level.
This is in line with the position of the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) which has been working on the bioeconomy, raising awareness and strengthening the local and regional dimension for the past years. The CoR has also stated that platforms such as the Bio-Based Industries Consortium, able to maximise the potential of the findings and knowledge acquired and to combine local and regional initiatives, can promote bioeconomy processes effectively.